Swedish Meatballs with Dingleberry Sauce


On Friday the family and I took a short trip up to Cincinnati. Why did we drive two hours to Cincy you ask? Did you go to an amusement park or a cool museum? That would be no. I made my husband and two sons drive me to the closest IKEA store!

Picture Source
Some women love to shop for clothes, for shoes, for handbags.  Me..I love shopping for housewares.  Most husbands would be put in the doghouse for buying their wife a vacuum cleaner for her birthday.  I ask my husband to please not buy me jewelry but rather something for our house. 

Elation was my middle name when I found out I was going to get to travel to IKEA. I have never been to one before and have always wanted to go.  Usually I have to satisfy my houseware shopping cravings by visiting Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It isn't the same as a Home Superstore like IKEA, though.

We arrive and then walk in the front door and I swear I can hear angels sing, I am in heaven.  For anyone who has walked into an IKEA should already know the layout but for those who don't, I'll explain.  The whole store layout is planned by a genius.  You start off upstairs at the cafe where you can eat a traditional Swedish lunch.  Then you grab a cool IKEA shopping bag and cart and you are on your way.  Every department leads into another.  For the next hour or two, you visit the kids furniture department, the bedroom store, the kitchen store, and then you head downstairs through lighting and rugs.  All the while you have a tiny pencil and shopping list paper where you write down the items you want to buy that you will have to pick up in the self serve large item storage room (huge room).  You locate the aisle number and bin number and then take a rolling cart for large items and pick up your furniture box.  From there, it leads to the checkout lanes.  Once you checkout, you then can shop at the small grocery and buy all the Swedish food items you want.  

We spent three hours there and I couldn't have been happier.  I really could have spent five hours there I think.  The recreated rooms were so interesting to walk through...my favorite part for sure.  I showed restraint on my purchases even though we did take my husband's pickup truck and I could have bought quite a few large items.  In the end, I only purchased one piece of furniture and a bunch of small home decorating items - along with a cooler full of frozen and packaged foods.  

Here is my IKEA bounty ..


Frozen Swedish Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes, Au Gratin Potatoes, Lingonberry Jam (my husband nicknamed it Dingleberry jam), Organic Swedish Coffee, and Meatball Cream Sauce.

Apart from the food and the home decor items I bought, I also purchased a closet wardrobe cabinet.  I really liked it when I saw it in the store because it had a place at the top for jewelry along with two thin drawers and four larger drawers.  Currently, I house my jewelry in a drawer by my bathroom sink and I always have a tough time because my necklaces get all kinked up.  With this wardrobe my necklaces can now stretch out their legs and I don't have to spend ten minutes untangling them every time I want to wear them.

I am so proud of my man and boys who hung in there with me the entire time.  As bored as they got they realized how much fun I was having and let me have my time with minimal whining on their part.

The next post will be the adventure of putting together the wardrobe chest I bought.  Stay tuned..


3 comments :

elizalouise.bell said...

I love IKEA. Like really. I could live in IKEA. Those blue tarp looking bags are the best FOR EVERYTHING!

hi from for the love of blogs.

xo

Tonya the Hobo Girl said...

The only thing that would be better is a Sephora in an IKEA store! ;)

Hello Sundae said...

I love love love(jumping up and down screaming) love Ikea! I was there on Saturday getting a desk with a friend (that I got to put together! Also my fave) and then again yesterday because I needed a new desk chair.

PS Your dingleberry title made me squirt tea out of my nose.

Back to Top