We Love You Miss Hannigan!

Happy Mother's Day to all you Freaking Awesome as Ostriches Mommies!!! (I am not a fan of multiple exclamation points normally but in this case I'll make an exception).

In honor of Mother's Day, I am going to pay tribute to my favorite comedienne, Carol BurnettI LOVE CAROL BURNETT.  They don't come any funnier than her. 

PICTURE SOURCE

Wikipedia Profile: Carol Creighton Burnett (born April 26, 1933), born in San Antonio, TX.  Both of her parents, particularly her father, suffered from alcoholism and at a young age she was left with her grandmother, Mabel Eudora White.  When Burnett was in the fourth grade, she briefly invented an imaginary twin sister named Karen, with Shirley Temple-like dimples.  Burnett recalled fondly,  "I fooled the other boarders in the rooming house where we lived by frantically switching clothes and dashing in and out of the house by the fire escape and the front door. Then I became exhausted and Karen mysteriously vanished."

The Carol Burnett Show is in my top ten favorite television shows.  If you have never seen an episode of this long running sketch comedy you are missing out.  I referenced and found out that most episodes are out on DVD.

At the end of every show she would come out to say goodbye and would tug on her ear as a way of saying hello to her grandmother (who raised her).  

My favorite movie role of hers was Miss Hannigan in the movie version Annie.  She played Miss Hannigan so well.  Her portrayal made you hate her, pity her and in the end sort of like her.  She played a drunk better than anyone (sorry, Foster Brooks).




This is a baby me being all Hannigan-esque:
Getting my drank on...hiccup

I have Hannigan hair and can't walk straight.

From Annie:







and finally this is a picture of my Mom when she was a little girl.  She loved to watch Carol Burnett with me...

Happy Mother's Day, Mom (1947-2003)

1 comments :

Safiya said...

Hah, I love those baby pictures of you, so funny!
I hope you had a great mother's day!

Back to Top